Tobacco Free Policy
UPMC Susquehanna is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace and to promoting health and well-being of its employees, visitors and patients. As motivated by our desire to provide a healthy environment for our employees, visitors and patients, all buildings and offices owned or operated by UPMC Susquehanna shall be tobacco free. In addition, all grounds of the Williamsport, Wellsboro, Divine and Muncy campuses of UPMC Susquehanna shall be tobacco free.
UPMC Susquehanna does not hire tobacco users. If a new service partner tests positive for nicotine use during their drug screen, they will not be hired. They may be reconsidered for employment after 90 days if they have ceased using tobacco products and do not test positive for nicotine. If the individual, after this 90-day period, is offered another position and again tests positive for nicotine, they will not be considered for future employment with UPMC Susquehanna for a period of one year.
- The use of tobacco and tobacco products is prohibited within any UPMC Susquehanna building and on any UPMC Susquehanna property.
- The sale of tobacco is prohibited within any UPMC Susquehanna building or on any UPMC Susquehanna property.
- No person may smoke in a personal vehicle parked on UPMC Susquehanna property.
- Employee compliance will be monitored and disciplinary measures initiated when necessary.
- Visitor compliance will be monitored and is the responsibility of all staff. Informational cards will be available for all staff to give to visitors who are observed smoking or using tobacco products on UPMC Susquehanna property. The cards provide an opportunity to educate. The card can be used as a cue to format discussion regarding UPMC Susquehanna's tobacco free policy.
Clinical Staff Responsibilities/Inpatient Smokers
- Physicians - The attending physician should discuss the tobacco free environment policy and assess and discuss the need for Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) with the patient, and if indicated, write an order for NRT using the NRT physician order form.
- Nursing - Upon admission, the nurse will ask each patient if they currently use tobacco and document the response on the nursing assessment document. For those patients that respond affirmatively, the nurse will make referral to Respiratory Therapy for tobacco cessation counseling.