What Does a Volunteer Do?
Volunteers serve in patient and non-patient care areas. Our volunteers are part of the UPMC family. Volunteers play a major role in our commitment to provide high-quality, compassionate, cost-effective and accessible healthcare to our patients and the community.
A number of different opportunities are available to suit the interests of our adult volunteers including:
- Reception Services - Volunteers greet, direct and escort hospital visitors and patients at the entrances and in departments. The surgical waiting rooms benefit from volunteers' gracious attention to waiting families.
- Office Services - Busy offices need assistance with filing, faxing, answering telephones, errands and computer work.
- Gift Shops - Located on each hospital campus, our shops are staffed by volunteers from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The shops are a fundraising project of the auxiliaries.
- Patient Care Services - Volunteers are scheduled in several patient care areas. The assignments vary, and many include errands, distributing water and visiting patients.
What Is the Process?
- Complete a Volunteer Application.
- Participate in an interview
- PA residents must complete a criminal background check
- Complete requested testing, screenings and health questionnaire
- Complete volunteer orientation
How Do I Apply?
- Click here to apply online.
- Call (570) 321-2433 for more information.
Upon receipt of your application, you will be contacted to begin the interview process.