May 2, 2019
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a Simple Pico de Gallo
Pico de gallo is simply salsa prepared in the Mexican tradition. Typically made of raw, uncooked ingredients (tomatoes, onion and chiles), pico de gallo adds a layer of fresh flavor over grilled fish or chicken; with fajitas, tacos, enchiladas and quesadillas. It's a simple addition for any meal packed with nutrients and vitamins.
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped*
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped onion
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced **
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber or radishes (optional)
- 1/2 avocado, pit removed, diced (optional)
- Chop ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 4 hours to allow flavors to blend.
* If flavorful fresh tomatoes aren't in season, substitute about 3/4 pound (2 to 3) roma or plum tomatoes or 1 (15-ounce) can of diced tomatoes, drained.
** To adjust the heat, use more or less jalapeno.
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Calories: 10; Calories from fat: 0; Total fat: 0g; Saturated fat: 0g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium 20mg; Total carbohydrate: 2g; Dietary fiber: 1g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 0g
Recipe courtesy of Roberta Duyff, MS, RD, FAND, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Complete Food and Nutrition Guide.