July 9, 2020
From Office Secretary to Food Services Attendant
Deb Page, food services attendant, UPMC Wellsboro, talks about her experience working in the cafeteria.
Joined UPMC: Oct. 2017
What made you choose the career you are in?
- After 15 years of office work, I started a job at the local school cafeteria to be close to my kids when they were young.
Did you plan to work in a health care field? If yes, why did you choose health care? Why did you choose UPMC? If no, what made you choose health care? What made you choose UPMC?
- After my kids were through school, I started a job in the cafeteria at UPMC Wellsboro. The change was nice, and it was an opportunity close to home. I enjoy the small town feel of the hospital cafeteria. I try to smile and make a difference. You never know if someone is having a bad day or if they are facing a difficult situation. I try to be a bright spot in their day.
What is your educational background/experience?
- After high school I earned an executive secretarial degree and worked in a variety of office settings.
What has been your greatest accomplishment, or something you are most proud of?
- I am very proud of my two daughters. They are both independent, young adults, working at jobs that they love.
If you could give one piece of advice to students interested in a career field similar to yours, what would it be?
- Follow your heart. Find something you really enjoy doing.