Salary & Benefits for Residents at UPMC Susquehanna
Each resident's contract year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the following year. Salaries and benefits are reviewed yearly, and UPMC Susquehanna is committed to remaining competitive with other Pennsylvania residency programs.
For a complete list of benefits, please click here.
- 1st year resident — $58,656
- 2nd year resident — $60,985
- 3rd year resident — $62,022
On-Call Schedules (All Meet Work-Hour Requirements)
- First year — three to four 12-hour calls per month*
- Second year — two to three 24-hour weekend calls/month*
- Third year — one to two 24-hour calls/month*
*Plus two night float rotations lasting four weeks during each year of residency. Night float coverage begins at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30 a.m. the next morning (Monday-Friday).
- Health insurance — Flexible benefit plan. Optional dental, vision, family health coverage. Tax-exempt healthcare and dependent care accounts can be created.
- Life insurance — One year’s full salary plus $5,000.
- Long-term disability insurance — Coverage for resident; provides 60% of salary if disabled.
- Professional liability (malpractice) insurance — Covers resident at UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport and other hospitals in Pennsylvania.
- Vacation — Fifteen paid working days away each year, which can be scheduled flexibly.
- Holidays — Six each year (Independence, Labor, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Memorial days.)
- Paid sick leave — Ten days maximum each year.
- Conference days — Up to five working days away and expense reimbursement up to $2,000 each year.
- Practice site visitation days — Five paid working days can be taken in resident's second and/or third years.
- Moonlighting opportunities — Available to second-and third-year residents with appropriate license, which includes staffing the Lycoming County Prison clinic and serving as the sideline physician for local high school football games.
- Meals — A meal allowance is provided to on duty residents at the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport cafeteria.
- White lab coats — Six coats are provided.
- Boards fees — Paid by the program as stated in policy.
When interviewing for residency in Williamsport, complimentary hotel lodging and a resident-hosted meal for one night, followed by breakfast and lunch at the hospital the next day, are provided. Second visits are encouraged, and one night's lodging and meals will be provided.
For more information about either our residency or clerkship programs, please call, toll-free at (800) 837-2011 or write to:
Williamsport Family Medicine Residency
740 High Street Suite 4001
Williamsport, Pennsylvania 17701