Salary & Benefits for Residents at UPMC Susquehanna
Each resident's contract year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the following year. Salaries and benefits are reviewed yearly, and UPMC Susquehanna is committed to remaining competitive with other Pennsylvania residency programs.
For a complete list of benefits, please click here.
- 1st year resident — $59,911
- 2nd year resident — $63,216
- 3rd year resident — $65,782
On-Call Schedules (All Meet Work-Hour Requirements)
- First year — three to four 12-hour calls per month*
- Second year — two to three 24-hour weekend calls/month*
- Third year — one to two 24-hour calls/month*
*Plus two night float rotations lasting four weeks during each year of residency. Night float coverage begins at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30 a.m. the next morning (Monday-Friday).
- Health insurance — All premiums for resident and their family members included at no cost. This includes standard dental and basic vision coverage.
- Life insurance — One year’s full salary.
- Long-term disability insurance — Coverage for resident; provides 60% of salary if disabled.
- Professional liability (malpractice) insurance — Provide, some exclusions may apply.
- Vacation — Fifteen paid working days away each year, which can be scheduled flexibly.
- Holidays — Seven each year (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.)
- Paid sick leave — Ten days maximum each year.
- Conference days — Up to five working days away and expense reimbursement up to $2,000 each year.
- Practice site visitation days — Five paid working days can be taken in resident's second and/or third years.
- Clinical skills enhancements and moonlighting opportunities — Available to second- and third-year residents with appropriate license, and approval, which may include serving as the sideline physician for local high school football games, STD clinic, and ER shifts.
- Meals — Meals are provided to on duty residents at the UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport cafeteria.
- White lab coats — Four coats are provided.
- Boards fees — Paid by the program as stated in policy.
When interviewing for residency in Williamsport, complimentary hotel lodging and a resident-hosted meal for one night, followed by breakfast and lunch at the hospital the next day, are provided. Second visits are encouraged, and can be arranged by contacting the Family Medicine Residency program.
For more information about either our residency or clerkship programs, call (800) 837-2011 or write to:
Williamsport Family Medicine Residency
740 High Street Suite 4001
Williamsport, Pennsylvania 17701