Explore Your Treatment Options for Hearing Loss in Williamsport, PA
Nearly 37 million adults in the United States report some degree of hearing loss, according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD). The most common causes of hearing loss are age, diseases and disorders.
Audiologists at UPMC Susquehanna provide complete care to evaluate hearing loss in Williamsport, PA, and can recommend a treatment option that fits your individual needs. If you would like to learn more about treatment for hearing loss, Find a Provider at UPMC Susquehanna.
What is Hearing Loss
Hearing loss, or hearing impairment, is caused by a wide range of factors, including:
- Excessive noise
- Head injury
- Viral or bacterial infections
The most common diseases or disorders that cause hearing loss include:
- Presbycusis (age-related hearing loss)
- Usher’s syndrome (results in a loss of hearing and vision)
Approximately half of people over age 75 have hearing loss, and one in three adults over age 60 has hearing loss.
Treatment for Hearing Loss at UPMC Susquehanna
Depending on the type of hearing impairment you have, and the severity of your condition, an audiologist at UPMC Susquehanna may recommend rehabilitation therapy, a medical device (like a hearing aid), or surgery to reduce or correct your hearing problem. A hearing aid can help improve your hearing and speech function, especially if you have a loss of hearing in your inner ear due, to damaged hair cells or a damaged hearing nerve.
To better understand your condition and determine the right hearing loss treatment for your needs, your doctor will perform a complete medical examination and may ask you these questions:
- When you talk to people, do they seem to mumble or not speak clearly?
- Do people complain that you turn the TV volume up too high?
- Are people annoyed because you misunderstand what they say?
- Do you have to ask people to repeat themselves?
- Is it difficult to hear other people over the telephone?
- Do you need to strain to understand a conversation?
- Do you have trouble following a conversation when two or more people are talking at the same time?
- Does a noisy background make it difficult for you to hear?
- Do you have trouble understanding the speech of women and children?
- Do you misunderstand what others are saying and respond inappropriately?
These questions will help your doctor decide your level of hearing loss. Further testing may be necessary, depending on your needs. Find a Provider to learn more about your options for hearing loss treatment in Williamsport, PA.
UPMC Susquehanna offers evaluation, diagnosis and treatment for hearing loss in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.