Find Compassionate Care to Treat Mood Disorders in Williamsport, PA
Mood disorders, also called affective disorders, are a group of conditions that affect mental health. These include all types of depression and bipolar disorders. No matter what a person’s age, mood disorders can put an individual at risk for developing other conditions that may continue long after initial episodes of depression are treated.
At UPMC Susquehanna, our mental health providers extend compassionate care to evaluate, diagnose and treat a wide array of mood disorders in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.
Types of Mood Disorders
While anyone can feel sad or depressed at times, mood disorders are more intense and more difficult to manage than normal feelings of sadness. Children and adults who have a parent with a mood disorder have a greater chance of developing a mood disorder.
These are the most common types of mood disorders:
- Dysthymia (dysthymic disorder)
- Major depression
- Manic depression (bipolar disorder)
- Mood disorder due to a general medical condition
- Substance induced mood disorder
Mood Disorder Symptoms
The symptoms of mood disorders depend on your age and type of condition that is present. Individual signs and symptoms may vary. If you have a mood disorder, your feelings may appear more intense than normal.
These are the most common mood disorder symptoms:
- A decrease in the ability to make decisions
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty with relationships
- Excessive guilt
- Feeling hopeless or helpless
- Feeling inadequate
- Feelings of wanting to die
- Frequent physical complaints (headache, stomach ache, fatigue)
- Having low self-esteem
- Hypersensitivity to failure or rejection
- Irritability, hostility, aggression
- Loss of interest in usual activities or activities once enjoyed
- Persistent feelings of sadness
- Running away or threats of running away from home
- Sleep disturbances (insomnia, hypersomnia)
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
If you’re experiencing symptoms of a mood disorder in PA that interferes with your interests in family, friends, community or work, speak with a behavioral health specialist at UPMC Susquehanna.
Mood Disorder Causes
Experts still don’t fully understand what causes mood disorder, however, it is believed that a chemical imbalance in the brain is associated with the development of these conditions. Life events, such as unwanted changes or traumatic experiences, may also contribute to mood disorders.
Mood Disorder Treatment at UPMC Susquehanna
Behavioral health doctors and therapists at UPMC Susquehanna provide comprehensive care to help patients of all ages treat and manage mood disorders in PA. Treatment may include various forms of therapy (including psychotherapy and family therapy) and medications (such as antidepressants) to help manage your symptoms.
UPMC Susquehanna is dedicated to offering complete care to treat a wide array of mood disorders in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.