Maintain Your Natural Look with Breast Reconstruction in Williamsport, PA
Breast reconstruction, or reconstructive breast surgery, is a surgical procedure to help restore the look and feel of the breast during or after a mastectomy (removal of one or both breasts).
At UPMC, experienced surgeons perform breast reconstruction in Williamsport, PA, to help patients maintain self-image, confidence and a natural appearance. To learn more, Find a Provider at UPMC.
Benefits of Breast Reconstruction
Many people choose to have breast reconstruction after a mastectomy in order to feel more comfortable about their appearance. While reconstructive surgery may not be able to match the exact look and feel of a natural breast, it does provide an effective alternative after breast removal surgery.
Types of Breast Reconstruction
If a breast has been removed or disfigured due to breast cancer, there are several surgical techniques that can be used to reconstruct the breast.
Surgeons at UPMC provide the following options for reconstructive breast surgery in Williamsport:
- Flap technique uses donor sites, such as the abdomen, back or buttocks to form a natural breast shape.
- Breast implants are used to shape the new breast.
- Breast tissue expansion involves stretching the skin. To accomplish this, a medical device called a balloon expander is inserted under the skin, near the area that will be reconstructed. Periodically, this balloon is filled with saline solution, which slowly causes the skin to stretch.
- Nipple and areola reconstruction is made possible by skin grafting and tattooing, which provides areola color.
- TRAM Flap breast reconstruction is a procedure that is also known as transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous flap. It uses muscle, fat and skin from your abdomen to reconstruct the breast.
Am I Eligible for Breast Reconstruction?
You may be a candidate for reconstructive breast surgery if you meet certain requirements. These include a physical exam by your plastic surgeon, your risk factors for the procedure and the treatments you’ll need after surgery. While it is possible for many women to have immediate reconstruction (performed at the same time as a mastectomy), not everyone is eligible. Talk about the risks and benefits of this procedure with your plastic surgeon, breast surgeon and oncologist to see if breast reconstruction is right for you.
Experienced surgeons at UPMC perform the latest procedures for breast reconstruction in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.