Take Back Your Life with Breast Cancer Rehabilitation in Williamsport, PA
Costello Center Physical Therapy and the Breast Health Center in Williamsport have partnered to create a comprehensive rehabilitation program for women with breast cancer. Our specially trained staff, in close collaboration with the physicians and staff of the Breast Health Center, are dedicated to meeting the unique needs of breast cancer patients.
To learn more about our services for breast cancer rehabilitation in Williamsport, PA, Find a Provider at UPMC Susquehanna.
This program is for any woman who has had breast cancer surgery or who has had persistent problems since surgery, including breast pain, weakness, breast swelling, reduced motion or impaired function.
A physical therapist provides an assessment of posture, range of motion, strength, function and swelling in the arm. An individualized treatment plan is developed that may include:
- Modalities for pain control (moist heat, cold pack, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, massage)
- Myofascial release to manage scar tissue
- Exercise to address weakness and loss of range of motion
- Education on posture, body mechanics and returning to daily functions
Lymphedema management is for any woman who has developed lymphedema, or swelling, in her arm, breast, armpit or back as a result of breast cancer surgery. This problem could occur immediately, or many years, after surgery.
A physical therapist provides an assessment of the swelling and determines the best course of treatment. This treatment may include:
- Manual lymph drainage ― a specialized form of massage to soften swelling and mobilize lymph fluid
- Multi-layered bandaging ― a wrapping technique to reduce swelling and restore the contour of the limb
- Exercise ― specific techniques to address weakness or range of motion problems
- Education about prevention, self-management and function
- Compression garment ― the final step in treatment, helping to permanently control swelling
Women who are de-conditioned or weakened from cancer treatment (including chemotherapy and radiation) or women who suffer from persistent fatigue or depression may seek out fitness programs. Fitness programs are for women who wish to improve their fitness levels, which include everything from strength, flexibility, endurance and weight control.
A rehabilitation professional conducts a fitness assessment, which includes a body composition analysis (body fat percentage), cardiorespiratory endurance capacity, and strength and flexibility tests. The patient may then choose to participate in any of the following:
- A wellness program with access to Costello Center equipment Monday through Friday under the supervision of rehabilitation staff, for a small monthly fee.
- An exercise class exclusively offered to patients with breast cancer and designed specifically to meet their needs. This class also provides the support of other women who are experiencing the same emotions.
Pain management is a program for women with persistent shoulder, neck or back pain that may or may not be related to breast cancer surgery.
A physical therapist provides an assessment of posture, body mechanics, flexibility, strength, joint mobility and function. Treatment may include:
- Modalities for pain control (moist heat, cold pack, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, massage)
- Manual therapy
- Education on function at home and work
UPMC Susquehanna offers a complete range of services for breast cancer rehabilitation in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.