Receive Care for Kidney Cancer
Kidney cancer, also known as renal cancer, is cancer that begins in the kidneys, two organs that process blood to filter out waste products and water. Your kidneys are located in the middle of the back on either side of your spine.
Kidney cancer treatment includes:
- Clinical trials
- Medical therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Support groups
- Robotic Assisted Urology Surgery
If you or a family member is diagnosed with kidney cancer in Williamsport or Wellsboro, PA, know that you can rely on the expertise of the oncologists at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. We are here to help you in your fight against kidney cancer.
Kidney Cancer Symptoms
Individuals who have kidney cancer may experience the following symptoms:
- Blood in the urine
- Lump on the lower back
- Unexplained fatigue
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic fever
Types of Kidney Cancer
The most common types of kidney cancer include:
- Renal cell carcinoma. This is the most common type of kidney cancer. This type of kidney cancer develops in the lining of the proximal convoluted tube.
- Sarcoma. This is a rare type of kidney cancer. This type of cancer develops in the thin layer of connective tissue that surrounds the kidney.
- Transitional cell carcinoma. This type of kidney cancer makes up about 10-15% of kidney cancer diagnoses. It develops in the renal pelvis.
- Wilms tumor. This type of kidney cancer is mostly found in children. It is treated most successfully with chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Treating Kidney Cancer
The type and stage of kidney cancer you have will depend on the treatment options that we recommend. Treating cancer can involve surgical options in conjunction with chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Find the cancer treatment you deserve at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. We are committed to helping you fight kidney cancer in Williamsport, Lock Haven, and Wellsboro so you can return to optimal health.