Providing Treatment for Lung Cancer
Lung tissue that is affected by cancerous cells will grow uncontrollably and begin to form tumors or lumps. Lung cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and women, and it is typically found in individuals ages 41-60 and above. Schedule a lung cancer screening today.
Common treatments for lung cancer include:
If you or a family member is experiencing symptoms of lung cancer contact one of our cancer center locations as soon as possible in order to rule out this diagnosis. If you are diagnosed with lung cancer, there are treatment options you can take in order to fight this disease.
Types of Lung Cancer
There are three main types of lung cancer:
- Small cell lung cancer. This type of lung cancer is less common and most commonly caused by smoking.
- Non-small cell lung cancer. This is the most common type of lung cancer, with variations of subtypes such as squamous cell carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, bronchioalveolar carcinoma and large cell undifferentiated carcinoma.
- Lung carcinoid tumor. This is a rare type of lung cancer. It describes a slow-growing tumor on the lung.
Symptoms of Lung Cancer
Common signs of lung cancer can include:
- Chronic cough that worsens over time
- Chest pain
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Voice hoarseness
- Coughing up blood
- Shortness of breath
To have your symptoms diagnosed by an experienced oncologist, Find a Provider at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center today.
Causes of Lung Cancer
The most common causes of lung cancer include:
- Inhaling secondhand smoke
- Exposure to radon
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Genetic factors
How We Treat Lung Cancer at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
The treatment our Williamsport and Wellsboro oncologists recommend is based on the type and stage of lung cancer, as well as your overall health. Surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation are the most commonly utilized treatments.
From our cancer centers in Williamsport and Wellsboro, our oncologists can provide customized treatment to individuals who have been diagnosed with lung cancer.