Explore Your Options for Chemotherapy In Williamsport & Wellsboro, PA
Chemotherapy may be taken by pill or be injected into a vein or muscle using a needle. It is called a systemic treatment because the medication enters the bloodstream, travels through the body and is able to kill the cancer cells throughout the body. It has been used to cure cancer, keep it from spreading, slow cancer growth or relieve symptoms caused by cancer.
Chemotherapy is given in cycles that consist of treatment and recovery periods. An entire "course" of chemotherapy varies individually by patient.
Customized Chemotherapy Treatments
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, each patient has a customized plan of care unique to his or her specific cancer and condition. Our infusion room gives patients the choice to be treated in a private or open setting. The open area provides comfortable seating where you can engage with other patients and support partners or look out into our healing garden and have peace of mind.
We provide you with the services need to feel at ease, from blankets to extra professional support, without any additional costs. Our team truly cares about your individual needs and is willing to help in any way possible to make the treatment process a little easier.
- Plan to spend the day with us. On your first visit, we want to make sure you feel comfortable. we will provide the comprehensive procedures required before you start your treatment routine. We're one of the few hospitals that can schedule multiple procedures in a single day.
- When you first arrive, a volunteer will help you check in and give you a form to fill out that may include items like past medical history and family health background.
- Next, a medical assistant will check your vitals, height and weight. Then, a secretary will come in to review your personal information and insurance. *Note: Be sure to take any secondary insurance or medical payment card with you to your first appointment.
- A nurse will come in to review your medical history and family background and ask any additional questions, such as preferred pharmacy.
- Then, you will meet with your treatment doctor. This meeting will last anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour. You will discuss your specific condition, the treatments available and the doctor may suggest further diagnostic tests. He/she will then proceed with a head to toe physical examination.
- Before you leave, you will talk with the secretary and nurse, who may give you instructions on scans and lab work that has been ordered by the doctor. They will also schedule your first treatment session.
- Should you need lab tests or other scans, one of our nurses will guide you down to the department.
Your First Treatment
The day of your first chemotherapy treatment, we will walk you through the whole routine. Your first treatment will be in a private room, where you can speak one-on-one with the expert delivering your treatment. We want to take the time to guide you through this first treatment and educate you about the process.
As the treatments become more regular, you may choose to stay in a private room or sit in a room with other patients overlooking our beautiful healing garden while you receive treatment.
Generally, if any other procedures are required, our specialists will do their best to schedule them in the convenience of one appointment.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center offers customized chemotherapy treatment in Wellsboro and Williamsport, PA, to meet the unique needs of our patients.