A diagnosis of diabetes can be hard to handle. But fortunately, with the help of a dietitian and nutritionist, diabetes doesn’t have to inhibit an active, healthy lifestyle. At UPMC, our registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) are here to provide education about the disease, lifestyle counseling and guidance on what type of medication might be best for your needs.
Diabetes Management Program at UPMC
You’ll have the opportunity to partner with healthcare providers who are focused on your long-term health and wellness.
Once you’ve met with one of our experienced diabetes experts, your provider will create a customized plan for managing your diabetes.
The goals of diabetes management often include:
- Understanding the disease and treatment options
- Developing personal strategies for physical and psychological health
- Incorporating physical activity and nutrition into your lifestyle
- Learning how to use medications safely and effectively
- Monitoring your blood sugar levels
- Using results from blood sugar tests to self-manage your diabetes
- Preventing, detecting and managing any complications from the disease
What Diabetes Management Offers
At UPMC, our diabetes management program provides individuals and their families with a wide range of support services, including:
- Medical evaluation — assessing your needs and goals, then creating a customized program
- Group educational workshops — focusing on diet, weight and stress management, and exercise
- One-on-one sessions — for medication management, meal planning and other needs
- Counseling and support groups — to help individuals cope with depression, stress or anger about a health problem and promote strategies for maintaining a normal, active life
- Individualized meal planning, medication counseling and exercise recommendations
Additional education and instruction on:
- How to prevent eye, kidney and foot complications
- How to recognize and treat low blood-sugar reactions
- Nutrition for obesity and other related disorders
- Diabetes and pregnancy, including gestational diabetes
- Lifestyle changes including stress and behavioral management and goal setting
UPMC offers diabetes management in Williamsport, PA and Coudersport, PA, and the surrounding areas for patients of all ages.