Expert Diabetes Management in Williamsport, PA
A diagnosis of diabetes can be hard to handle. But fortunately, with the help of a dietitian and nutritionist, diabetes doesn’t have to inhibit an active, healthy lifestyle. At UPMC Susquehanna, our registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) are here to provide education about the disease, lifestyle counseling and guidance on what type of medication might be best for your needs.
Manage your diabetes with:
If you’d like to request an appointment to learn more about diabetes management in Williamsport, PA, or a surrounding area, Find a Provider at UPMC Susquehanna.
Diabetes Management Program at UPMC Susquehanna
When you visit the Diabetes & Nutrition Counseling Center, located on the Divine Providence Hospital campus, you’ll have the opportunity to partner with healthcare providers who are focused on your long-term health and wellness.
Once you’ve met with one of our experienced diabetes experts, your provider will create a customized plan for managing your diabetes.
The goals of diabetes management often include:
- Understanding the disease and treatment options
- Developing personal strategies for physical and psychological health
- Incorporating physical activity and nutrition into your lifestyle
- Learning how to use medications safely and effectively
- Monitoring your blood sugar levels
- Using results from blood sugar tests to self-manage your diabetes
- Preventing, detecting and managing any complications from the disease
What Diabetes Management Offers
At UPMC Susquehanna, our Williamsport diabetes management program provides individuals and their families with a wide range of support services, including:
- Medical evaluation — assessing your needs and goals, then creating a customized program
- Group workshops — focusing on diet, weight and stress management, and exercise
- Education and support — on blood sugar monitoring, use of an insulin pump, etc.
- One-on-one sessions — for medication management, meal planning and other needs
- Counseling and support groups — to help individuals cope with depression, stress or anger about a health problem and promote strategies for maintaining a normal, active life
- Individualized meal planning, medication counseling and exercise recommendations
Additional education and instruction on:
- How to prevent eye, kidney and foot complications
- How to recognize and treat low blood-sugar reactions
- Nutrition for obesity and other related disorders
- Diabetes and pregnancy, including gestational diabetes
- Lifestyle changes including stress and behavioral management and goal setting
Speak with a provider at UPMC Susquehanna to learn more about what our program offers.
What to Expect
Most medical insurance plans cover the first 10 hours of diabetes management. You’ll be encouraged to attend programs annually for follow-up training and education. Medicare and insurance typically covers two hours of annual training. Between these annual visits, your provider at Susquehanna Health will contact you to keep track of your progress.
The Diabetes & Nutrition Counseling Center at UPMC Susquehanna offers diabetes management in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas for patients of all ages.