Find Compassionate Care for Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism, also known as overactive thyroid, is a condition caused when your thyroid gland produces too much thyroxine (a hormone secreted into the bloodstream). If left untreated, hyperthyroidism can lead to sudden weight loss, irregular heartbeat, and other symptoms.
At UPMC Susquehanna, our endocrinologists specialize in diagnosing and treating hyperthyroidism in Williamsport, PA, and surrounding areas. To determine which course of treatment may work best, Find a Provider at UPMC Susquehanna.
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
Symptoms of hyperthyroidism vary from person to person. Hyperthyroidism symptoms may include:
- Nervousness, anxiousness and irritability
- Increased perspiration
- Thinning of the skin
- Fine, brittle hair
- Weak upper arm and thigh muscles
- Shaky hands
- Rapid heartbeat
- High blood pressure
- Increased bowel movements
- Sudden weight loss
- Trouble sleeping
- Prominent eyes
- Sensitivity to bright light
- Changes in bowel patterns
- Irregular menstrual cycle
Causes of Hyperthyroidism
There are a variety of diseases that can cause hyperthyroidism, such as:
- Graves’ disease: most commonly associated with hyperthyroidism. This disease is thought to be caused by an antibody which stimulates the thyroid too much.
- Toxic nodular goiter: where one or more of the nodules in the thyroid become overactive.
- Thyroiditis: causes temporary hyperthyroidism, typically followed with hypothyroidism.
Taking an excessive amount of thyroid hormone tablets may also lead to hyperthyroidism.
Treatment of Hyperthyroidism in Williamsport, PA
Treatment and prevention options depend on a variety of factors. Your healthcare provider will determine a treatment plan for you based on:
- The type of hyperthyroidism you’re diagnosed with
- Your age
- Your overall health, and medical history
- The severity of the disease
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
- Your opinion or preference
Hyperthyroidism affects each person differently, which is why a treatment plan is tailored to each person’s needs. Your healthcare provider will work with you to determine which treatment or combination of treatments work best to improve your symptoms.
UPMC Susquehanna is dedicated to offering excellent care to patients with hyperthyroidism in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.