Discover if Single-Site® Robotic Assisted Surgery is Right for You
Single-site® robotic assisted surgery offers virtually scarless ovarian and hysterectomy procedures.
When medication and non-invasive procedures are unable to relive symptoms, surgery remains the accepted and most effective treatment for a range of gynecologic conditions. These include, but are not limited to, cervical and uterine cancer, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, uterine prolapse and excessive bleeding.
The da Vinci® Surgical System provides an alternative to both traditional open and conventional laparoscopic surgery, putting the doctor’s hands at the controls of a state-of-the-art robotic platform. The da Vinci System enables doctors to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Why Single-Site® Robotic-Assisted Surgery Is Performed
When using da Vinci Single-Site® Surgery for benign (not cancer), your surgeon operates through a small cut in your belly button. Patients see almost scarless results, like single incision traditional laparoscopy.
The benefits of single-site robotic assisted surgery include:
- Little to no scars internally and externally
- Less pain
- Less blood loss
- Shorter hospital stay (typically less than 24 hours)
- Lower rate of complications
- Shorter recovery time
In February 2015, Dr. Angela Huggler, board certified obstetrician and gynecologist, became the first surgeon in the northcentral Pennsylvania to provide robotic assisted single site hysterectomy and ovarian surgeries.
What are the benefits of robotically-assisted gynecologic surgery?
Compared with traditional surgery, the benefits of robotically-assisted surgery may include:
- Smaller incisions with minimal scarring
- Less trauma to the patient, including less pain
- Shorter hospital stay (usually 3 to 4 days)
- Decreased use of pain medications
- Less bleeding
- Decreased risk of infection
- Shorter recovery and quicker return to daily and professional activities: The patient can resume normal activities and work as soon as she feels up to it; there are no specific activity restrictions after robotically-assisted surgery
Find a Provider to Learn More
As with any surgery, only you and your doctor can decide what is the best option for you. For more information on da Vinci surgery for the treatment of gynecologic conditions, Find a Provider at UPMC .
To schedule an evaluation or preliminary exam, contact us at (570) 321-3300.
UPMC offers single-site robotic assisted surgery in Williamsport and surrounding areas of PA.