Find Emergency Care for a Heart Attack in Williamsport, PA
A heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction, occurs when blood to your heart is stopped or blocked for an extended period of time, causing damage to the heart muscle. A blocked artery is the most common cause of heart attacks. The blockage can be caused by a buildup of plaque or a blood clot.
If you or a loved one is experiencing symptoms of a heart attack, call 911 right away for emergency medical attention.
UPMC Susquehanna provides emergency services at the following locations in North Central PA:
- Williamsport Regional Medical Center in Williamsport, PA
- Soldiers + Sailors Memorial Medical Center in Wellsboro, PA
- Muncy Valley Hospital in Muncy, PA
Heart Attack Symptoms
Each individual may experience different heart attack symptoms or may not experience any at all. The symptoms of a heart attack may resemble other medical conditions as well, so always see a doctor immediately for diagnosis.
Heart attack symptoms can include:
- Chest pain increasing in intensity
- Chest pain not relieved by rest
- Pain that spreads to the shoulders, neck, arms or jaw
- Pressure, squeezing or pain in the chest lasting more than a few minutes
Or chest pain combined with these symptoms:
- Dizziness or fainting
- Nausea or vomiting
- Rapid or irregular pulse
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, cool, clammy skin or paleness
- Unexplained weakness or fatigue
UPMC Susquehanna provides excellence in emergency medical care to treat heart attacks in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.
Heart Attack Causes
A heart attack is caused by lack of oxygen-rich blood to a section of the heart. Most heart attacks are the result of coronary heart disease (CHD).
Heart Attack Treatment & Monitoring at UPMC Susquehanna
Once the heart attack victim is stabilized by an emergency department, additional procedures may be used to restore blood flow, including:
- Coronary angioplasty. This procedure employs a balloon to help open the vessel and increase blood flow. Types of angioplasty include: balloon angioplasty, atherectomy, laser angioplasty and coronary artery stent.
- Coronary artery bypass (bypass surgery). This procedure is often used when the patient has a buildup of plaque in the arteries and chest pain. It creates another passageway through which blood can flow around the obstruction.
UPMC Susquehanna hospital locations provide emergency services in North Central PA, including immediate care for heart attacks in Williamsport, PA, and the surrounding areas.