MRI imaging services can be used all over the body to diagnose a variety of different health conditions, including:
- Brain disorders
- Traumatic injuries
- Eye abnormalities
- Spine diseases
- Tumor detection
- Liver and other abdominal diseases
- Knee and shoulder injuries
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Facial/neck abnormalities
- Cardiac malformations
- Blood flow and vessel disorders
UPMC conducts a number of different MRI procedures. MRIs that we offer include:
- Abdomen MRI: A medical exam that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions of the liver, kidneys, spleen, pancreas, and adrenal glands. Download the procedure information.
- Breast MRI: An exam to help obtain valuable information about many breast conditions. It is not a replacement for mammography or ultrasound imaging. Download the procedure information.
- Cardiac MRI: A noninvasive medical test that provides detailed images of the heart and surrounding structures. Download the procedure information.
- Enterography MRI: A medical test that provides detailed images to diagnose and treat medical conditions of the small intestine. Download the procedure information.
- MRCP MRI: a non-invasive medical test that provides detailed images to diagnose and treat medical conditions of the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and pancreatic duct.
Download the procedure information.
- MRI Arthrogram: is a combination of both radiographic and MRI procedures to evaluate your joint. Download the procedure information.
- Head MRI: a sensitive imaging test of the head (particularly in the brain) that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions. Download the procedure information.
- Spine MRI: a medical test that provides images of the vertebrae that makes up the spine, as well as the disks, spinal cord and spaces between the vertebrae through which nerves pass. Download the procedure information.
- Musculoskeletal System MRI: a medical test that provides detailed images of bones, joints or soft tissues (muscles, tendons, and ligaments) to determine the presence of certain diseases. Download the procedure information.
- Pelvis MRI: a noninvasive medical test that provides images of the pelvis as well as organs of male and female reproductive systems. Download the procedure information.
Before Your MRI
There is nothing special you need to do to prepare for most MRI exams. Because MRI uses a magnetic field, metal objects cannot be worn or entered into an MRI scan. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing with no metal snaps, zippers or other metal accessories. Also, do not wear makeup or antiperspirant as they may contain metal. For your convenience, we offer you a locked changing room where you may store your personal items.
During Your MRI
An MRI procedure typically lasts anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes, depending on the type of information needed by your doctor. A technologist helps you onto a padded, movable scanning table. You will be asked to remain as still as possible during the exam. Certain MRIs require use of a contrasting agent via IV. You can easily be observed throughout the study and speak with the staff at any time.
For your comfort, we offer a patient stereo system that allows you to listen to a CD or a radio station during your exam. You are welcome to bring your own CD. You will hear a knocking sound from the MRI system that ranges from barely audible to quite noticeable; this is normal.
After Your MRI
Once your exam is complete, you are free to resume your normal activities. A report containing your MRI results will be sent to your doctor within 24 hours. Depending on the type of insurance that you have, you may be responsible for some of the costs at the time of your MRI exam.
Schedule an MRI Appointment
We offer MRI appointments at the following locations:
700 High Street
32 Central Ave
UPMC Lock Haven
24 Cree Drive
Lock Haven, PA
1112 Grampian Blvd
UPMC offers comprehensive MRI services in the surrounding areas of Williamsport, Wellsboro, Lock Haven, and Sunbury, PA.
There are two MRI machines at Susquehanna MRI located at UPMC Williamsport Divine Providence Campus, one MRI machine at UPMC Williamsport, UPMC Susquehanna Wellsboro, and UPMC Lock Haven. Each of the MRI units are high field strength and are "wide bore" to accommodate claustrophobic and larger patients. All locations provide patients with superior image quality MRI exams with fast and efficient results.