Labor and Delivery at UPMC Susquehanna
After nine months of waiting, it's finally time to welcome your baby into the world! We'll help to make your experience even more memorable, ensuring that each stage of your labor and delivery goes as smoothly as possible. If something doesn't go as planned, UPMC Susquehanna has the expertise and technology to see it through. We're prepared for anything and can't wait to meet your little one!
Explore Our Service Offerings in Williamsport and Wellsboro, PA
UPMC Susquehanna offers labor and delivery services in Williamsport and Wellsboro, PA. As our services differ slightly at each location, learn more about the maternity care we offer at Williamsport Regional Medical Center and Soldiers + Sailors Memorial Hospital.
Our maternity services in Williamsport include:
- Breastfeeding support
- First-time pregnancy program
- Midwife services
- Newborn services
- On-site lactation consultants
- Pediatric services
- Private postpartum rooms
- Prenatal care
- The Birthplace (an accredited Level II nursery)
Our Wellsboro (Soliders + Sailors) maternity services include:
Ensuring a Smooth Childbirth
At UPMC Susquehanna, our healthcare providers assess the needs and preferences of expecting parents and their family.
Labor and delivery may include:
- Fetal monitoring. Nurses and doctors monitor the baby’s heart rate and well-being during labor.
- Episiotomy. Although episiotomies –– incisions in the perineum, the tissue between the vagina and anus –– are no longer routinely used, a doctor may perform an episiotomy if forceps or another instrument are needed to aid the delivery.
- Vaginal birth. Most women give birth vaginally.
- Natural birth. Healthcare providers respect the wishes of the expecting mother. If a woman wants to give birth without pain medication, staff help her use other pain relief strategies and coping techniques.
- C-section. A C-section, or Cesarean section, is a surgical birth. C-sections can be planned in advance or performed in case of emergency. A C-section is performed in an operating room, and a woman who has a C-section will likely stay in the hospital for a few days.
UPMC Susquehanna offers comprehensive care for labor and delivery in Wellsboro and Williamsport, PA.