Pregnancy & Physical Therapy at UPMC
During pregnancy and following the birth of a child, a woman may develop some spinal and pelvic dysfunctions that physical therapists can address. Physical therapy can be useful during this time to ease discomforts like back pain or to improve your body's ability to have a smoother birth in the future.
At UPMC, our compassionate and caring physical therapists focus on muscular imbalances and help prevent musculoskeletal dysfunction that can worsen later in life (leading to pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence or pelvic pain).
Signs You May Need a Physical Therapist
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms during pregnancy or postpartum, speak with your doctor about a referral to a physical therapist:
- Back, sacral, hip, pelvic or rib pain
- Pain in the neck or upper back
- Sciatica, carpal tunnel, thoracic outlet or other nerve symptoms
- Decreased ability to perform normal daily activities
- Weak or tight muscles
- Pelvic pain with intercourse, use of tampons or during gynecological exams
- Desire to start or continue exercise program
- Urinary incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Pain associated with Cesarean-section scar
UPMC's physical therapists are here to help you during and after your pregnancy in Williamsport and Wellsboro, PA, and the surrounding areas.