Explore Treatment Options for Postpartum Depression
For many women, the stress of a new baby and the imbalance of hormones can send your body into depression that lasts anywhere from four to 10 days. However, symptoms of depression in excess of one week are a cause to see your physician. Postpartum depression can affect any woman regardless of age, race, ethnicity or economic status.
If you are concerned you are experiencing postpartum depression, speak with your doctor immediately.
Postpartum Depression Symptoms
Common symptoms of postpartum depression include:
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
- Inability to sleep or increased sleeping
- Agitation or mental slowness
- Loss of energy
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Inability to concentrate
- Recurrent thoughts of death; suicidal ideation, gestures, or attempts
- Feelings of anxiety and worry
- Withdrawing from or avoiding family and friends
- Crying more than usual or for no apparent reason
Postpartum Depression Treatment
The providers at UPMC are happy to help if you are struggling physically or mentally with the new transition. About six weeks after delivery, you will have a post-delivery exam, in which you should bring up any negative feelings or symptoms you may be experiencing. You will have a brief physical exam and talk to one of our caring nurses. In some cases, our providers are also available to sit down and discuss issues you may be having. Effective treatment options for postpartum depression include:
- Counseling and talk therapy. This involves one-on-one time with a mental health professional. Two types of counseling include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy (IPT).
- Medication. Antidepressants may help with mood regulation.
No matter what feelings you are experiencing, there's no need to feel alone. UPMC is here to see you through and offer women the best maternity care available.
If you think you may be suffering from postpartum depression in the central PA area, please contact your healthcare provider.
Experienced medical providers at UPMC offer healing and support for postpartum depression in Williamsport, Coudersport, and Wellsboro, PA, and the surrounding areas.