Reducing Hazards, Optimizing Health
The medical surveillance program at UPMC helps ensure the health and safety of your employees — especially those who may be exposed to chemicals, high-radiation, or other potential hazards.
Our occupational health specialists carefully collect and analyze employee health information over time to help identify any problems affecting your workplace. We then share our detailed findings with your team, along with strategies to reduce or prevent illness or injury.
Contact your local WorkCenter to learn more and get started today.
Benefits of Medical Surveillance
Our program is a vital tool for your employees and organization, helping to:
- Compare employee health from year to year, providing you with constant feedback to see if interventions are needed
- Uncover previously unidentified workplace hazards
- Discover specific illness or diseases and which areas of the body to monitor more carefully
- Identify which employees should be in “high-risk groups,” which show they had prior risk to disease and need proactive surveillance
- Determine if employee injuries are work-related or self-inflicted
- Limit workers’ compensation and keep employees healthy, so the job gets done correctly and safely
Exams & Screenings Tailored to Your Business
We offer both medical surveillance and screening exams, which together can contribute significantly to a healthy workplace. Surveillance is dedicated to prevention, helping detect and eliminate the underlying causes of any abnormal health trends in your company. Screening is more clinically focused, to diagnose medical concerns early and ensure your employees get the right care.
Depending on your work environment, tests may include:
- Asbestos physical examinations
- Audiometric (hearing) testing
- Blood tests (rising blood levels, chemical levels in blood)
- Calcium exams
- Chest X-ray
- HAZMAT/HAZWOPER exams
- Laboratory services
- Lead surveillance
- Respirator clearance/spirometry testing (PFT)
- Vision screening
Many of these exams can be done right at your worksite, and are continued up to three times a year by a specially trained UPMC provider. All tests are compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) to ensure the highest standards in workplace health and safety.
Once we’ve collected the data, we provide a confidential feedback report with our findings, plus recommendations to reduce health concerns related to workplace hazards. We also coordinate ongoing meetings with your team and our care providers to discuss results and help promote a safer, healthier, and more productive work environment.