Quickly Treat a Dislocated Knee in PA at UPMC
A knee dislocation occurs when your kneecap (patella) moves out of place, most often towards the outside of your leg.
UPMC is dedicated to excellence in orthopedic care for a wide array of joint and bone conditions, including knee dislocations.
Knee Dislocation Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of a dislocated knee may include:
- Pain in the knee
- Swelling around the knee
- Inability to move the knee
- Inability to bear weight on the affected leg
- Inability to straighten your knee
- Feeling the patella move or slide out of place
Knee Dislocation Causes
The injury can be the result of an accident or trauma, or the patella may slide out of place if the ligaments are not strong enough to hold it steady.
Injuries that could cause a knee dislocation include:
- Blows to the knee
- Sudden changes in direction while moving
- Twisting of the knee
If you have dislocated your knee, it may be more prone to more dislocations after it has healed. .
Treatment & Prevention of Knee Dislocation
If you have dislocated your knee, you should seek medical help as soon as possible, to reduce the risk of further damage. Treatment for a dislocated knee often starts with the RICE approach:
- Rest your knee
- Ice your knee
- Compress your knee with a compression bandage or elastic wrap
- Elevate your leg
Your doctor may recommend you take an over-the-counter pain reliever, and that you use a brace or crutches to keep your weight off your leg.
Dislocated knees are most often the result of an accident but you may be able to prevent the injury by:
- Warming up and stretching before playing sports or exercising
- Wearing protective equipment if participating in contact sports
- Strengthening your leg muscles
- Ensuring you are using the proper technique for the activity, to reduce stress on your knees
- Asking your doctor or physical therapist if you should wear a knee brace during your activity or exercise
UPMC Orthopedics provides expert diagnosis and treatment for knee dislocations in Williamsport, Lock Haven, Muncy and Wellsboro, PA.