Get Treatment for Broken Bones & Fractures
The bones in your body are strong and bend to some degree when pressure is put on them. When pressure exceeds a bone’s limit, it can break or fracture. In most cases, broken bones are a temporary inconvenience and will heal over the course of several weeks. Some broken bones and fractures may require casts, surgery or traction.
UPMC Susquehanna provides complete care for broken bones and fractures in Williamsport, Muncy, Lock Haven, and Wellsboro, PA, with treatment to help people return to an active lifestyle.
Broken Bones/Fracture Causes
Broken bones and fractures can be caused by a variety of factors, including trauma from accidents or sports injuries, overuse injuries and osteoporosis.
Broken Bones/Fracture Symptoms
Common symptoms of a broken bone or fracture include:
- Bruising and deformity
- Not being able to move or put weight on the injured area
- Pain, tenderness and swelling
- A snap or grinding sound at the moment of injury
Treatment for Broken Bones & Fractures at UPMC
Our orthopaedic providers collaborate to provide exceptional treatment for broken bones and fractures. The main goal of treatment will be to repair the broken bones and allow them to heal properly.
Depending on the extent of your injury, treatment may include:
- Immobilizing your injury with a cast made of fiberglass or plaster
- Surgery, called external fixation, to put metal pins or screws in the affected bones that are connected to a metal bar for stability while they heal
- Open reduction and internal fixation procedure to reposition the fractured pieces of bone and hold them together with metal pins, screws or plates on the surface of the bone
- Traction repositions bone pieces using a gentle pulling action
UPMC provides clinical expertise to evaluate and treat fractures and broken bones in Williamsport, Muncy, Lock Haven and Wellsboro, PA as part of our orthopaedic services.