Get Relief with Treatment for a Sprained Knee
A knee sprain occurs when a ligament in the knee is stretched or torn.
Knee Sprain Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of a knee sprain can begin at the time of the injury or they can develop shortly after. They include:
- Pain in the knee, either while stable or during movement
- Burning sensation around the knee
- Difficulty moving your knee
- Limited range of motion
- Difficulty bearing weight on the affected leg
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, speak with an orthopedic doctor at UPMC Susquehanna. Our orthopedic centers offer the latest diagnostic tests and minimally invasive treatments for knee sprains in Williamsport, Muncy and Wellsboro, PA.
Knee Sprain Causes
Knee sprains are often the result of a sports injury, although they can happen to anyone. They occur when the knee is bent or twisted in the wrong direction. Some ways this may happen include:
- Suddenly stopping while running
- Suddenly twisting the knee
- Landing badly from a jump
- A sideways blow to the knee
Knee Sprain Treatment
Treatment of knee sprains often starts with the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) approach.
Your doctor may recommend you take an over-the-counter pain reliever and use crutches to keep weight off your knee. A splint or brace may be necessary to immobilize the knee, and physical therapy or rehabilitation exercises may help you regain strength.
Sprained knees are most often the result of an accident but you may be able to prevent a sprained knee by:
- Warming up and stretching before playing sports or being physically active
- Wearing protective equipment if participating in contact sports
- Strengthening your leg muscles
- Ensuring you are using the proper technique for the activity, to reduce stress on your knees
- Asking your doctor or physical therapist if you should wear a knee brace during your activity or exercise
To learn more about how orthopedic doctors at UPMC Susquehanna treat knee sprains in Wellsboro, Williamsport and Muncy, PA, find a hospital location near you.
UPMC Susquehanna's Orthopedics offers complete care for sports injuries, including knee sprains in Wellsboro, Muncy and Williamsport, PA.