What to Expect Before & After Surgery
Total joint replacement surgery is successful when your medical team partners with you, both before and after your surgery. Our unique pre-surgical preparation and aftercare programs ensure you return to an active, healthy lifestyle as quickly as possible.
The joint replacement process begins four to six weeks prior to surgery when you get started on a physical strengthening and educational program.
What to Expect
We encourage you to choose a friend or family member to be your “coach,” an individual we’ll train to help with caregiving and provide you with the support you’ll need during your recovery.
- Before surgery you will attend educational classes to give you an understanding of what to expect before your surgery, including how to prepare your home and possible equipment needs. It’s also a great opportunity to build a network of relationships with patients who will be going through therapy with you. Your physician will give you your guide book of information focusing on the joint replacement(s) you will be receiving.
- Each of our 24 private rooms has:
- A private bath
- A comfortable area for family or support people to stay
- A flat screen television
- Wireless Internet
- An ergonomic chair to enable patients to spend more time out of bed
- You will attend a joint replacement class where you will go through the guide book with our orthopedic nurse liaison. She will address any questions or concerns you have regarding joint replacement; afterwards, you will be able to take a tour of the center.
- The day of or after surgery, therapy processes begin. This will depend on if you meet certain criteria. Your coaches are encouraged to continue support through these stages by participating with you in group therapy in the inpatient therapy gym. Some patients may qualify for the Accelerated Recovery Program.
We’ve created a comfortable, therapeutic environment that promotes healing and wellness. You will wear t-shirts, shorts and sweats for therapy and activities like preparing fresh baked goods in the fully equipped occupational therapy kitchen. A milestone achievement whiteboard featuring the Susquehanna River Walk will help you track your individual progress.
UPMC Susquehanna provides compassionate care before and after total joint replacement surgery for patients in Williamsport and Wellsboro, PA and the surrounding areas.