Regain Mobility with Rotator Cuff Repair
Rotator cuff repair, also called rotator cuff surgery, is performed to repair a torn or damaged rotator cuff tendon in the shoulder. A healthy rotator cuff tendon allows your shoulder joint to move with ease. The goal of rotator cuff repair is to restore a normal range of motion in your shoulder without pain.
Are You Eligible for Rotator Cuff Repair?
If you’ve sustained a shoulder injury, such as a torn rotator cuff, your doctor may suggest surgery if:
- The tear is smaller than two inches and only one tendon is injured
- The tear is from a recent injury
- You can’t use your shoulder normally
- The tear has been causing pain for more than six months
- Physical therapy, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, or oral or injected corticosteroids have been unsuccessful
What to Expect with Rotator Cuff Repair at UPMC
Rotator cuff repair will be performed by an orthopaedic surgeon at UPMC. Depending on your condition and overall health, you may have open, mini-open or minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery. Talk with your doctor about mini-open or minimally invasive surgery, as these procedures typically result in less pain, smaller incisions and a shorter recovery time compared to open surgery.
Once your surgery is complete, you may be able to return home the same day, or you might need to spend a few nights in the hospital (depending on the type of procedure you had). You’ll need to wear a sling to keep your shoulder from moving while it heals. Physical therapy will help you regain shoulder strength and range of motion. A full recovery may take three to 12 months.
Recovery from Rotator Cuff Repair
Most people are able to get back to a normal routine after rotator cuff surgery. Speak with your doctor about ways to minimize your risk of future shoulder injuries.
Ways to protect your shoulder include:
- Carrying heavy objects close to your body
- Practicing good posture
- Sleeping on the opposite side to keep pressure off of your shoulder
- Lifting heavy objects with proper movements
- Keeping your shoulder strong with recommended exercises
Experienced orthopaedic surgeons at UPMC perform rotator cuff repair in Williamsport and Wellsboro, PA, as part of our orthopaedic services.