Our orthopaedic team at UPMC Susquehanna is honored to serve student athletes, coaches, and athletic directors in our local school districts by providing sports medicine services that keep them performing to the best of their abilities. Our sports medicine providers take pride in serving athletes across the region and have created a friendly competition among area schools known as the UPMC Susquehanna Sports Medicine Champions Cup.
The Cup is awarded to the school district whose high school athletics department accrues the most points across their selected participating teams/individual athletes. Each partner school prior to the start of the Fall sports season, identifies ten entries into the competition to vie for points for their school. This can be a combination of individual athletes (e.g. tennis) or team sports entries based on the sport and how the PIAA structures district and state championships.
Partner schools in which teams or individual athletes are entered to accrue points for their school can earn points towards the Champions Cup as follows:
- Team Points Structure
- 6 Points District Playoff Qualifier (>.500 winning percentage)
- 10 Points District Title
- 5 Points District Runner-up
- 2 Points Each District Playoff win
- 3 Points Each State Playoff win
- Individual Points Structure
- 3 Points District Champion (Individual)
- 10 Points State Champion (Individual)
- 8 Points State Runner-up (Individual)
- Sliding Scale (6 to 1) Points Awarded for 3rd - 8th Place (Individual)
The UPMC Susquehanna Sports Medicine Champions Cup will be presented to the partner school with the highest score for PIAA performance at a banquet hosted at UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport in June. The privilege of displaying the trophy will be awarded to the school in honor of their dedication to athletic achievement and excellence for the following school year.